Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thing #12 and 13: YOUTUBE

Have to admit, YouTube is a frequent resource that I call upon. Just yesterday, I pulled three video clips from there to use for my music video in my Multimedia class. I love that I can find videos on here just for entertainment, use in graduate school class projects, involve in the classroom, or even for information. I remember last summer when I was trying to paint my bathroom cabinets with a certain finish, I used Youtube to find a "how to" video to use that worked great for me!

This first video,

I am sharing is just for fun....it is the trailer to a new TV show that may quickly become one of my favorites.

Then I thought I would search for information on Web 2.0 tools since we have been working with Web 2.0 tools. This video is a quick five minute video discussing what exactly is Web 1.0, 2.0 and even 3.0.


Youtube is such a great resource, especially as a teacher to find extra materials to share with students whether it be to engage them initially, visually show them a process, or hear others perspectives on ideas. It is easy to search with a term or terms....and then the results show other "like" videos that may want to be viewed as well. However, there can be inappropriate content on the site as well so there must be caution when using this in the classroom. Using YouTube EDU may alleviate some of this risk.

So now on to the adventure of posting my own Youtube video! This is something I definitely have not done before! I think I will pull together a movie of South Carolina scenery from my trip last spring.



Easy to do and easy to upload! Although I would not want to publish student work worldwide for anyone to see....I did notice that you could share privately for certain viewers or put as "Unlisted" so that only people who are told the link can retrieve the video. This would allow students to create their own work in class and upload it for only a few private viewers (i.e. the teacher and their classmates) Since YouTube allows for several different file formats, you are not limited to just using a PC or Mac. As a teacher, it could be a great place to store TEASES or other small video I create. I could always list it as private, but then access it through MY VIDEOS on YouTube so that it is a click of a button away when I want to use it in the classroom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment