Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thing #1: Life Long Learning

Life long learning. I think this is a key to effective teaching. I love the quote (although I cannot remember who it is originally from) that says
"I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma."
I desire to have that attitude, that life itself, all of it, is a learning opportunity and playground.

Reading "7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners" offered me practical steps to continue in the pursuit of life long learning. The habits suggested were:
1. Goals: Begin with the end in mind
2. Responsibility: Accept responsibility for your own learning
3. View problems as challenges
4. Have confidence in yourself as a learner
5. Create your own learning toolbox
6. Use technology to your advantage
7. Teach and/or mentor others
71/2. PLAY!!!!

As I consider these habits, it was easy for me to recognize which one was most challenging for me and which one is easiest for me. I find it easy to take responsibility for my own learning. I have a natural curiosity to learn and an inner drive to know more...coupled with my independent spirit, I find it easy to take ownership of pursuing opportunities through classes, learning from friends or colleagues, or taking advantage of technology to teach me. When I can't find the information at my fingertips, I am persistent to find out how to learn more. I do not see learning as dependent on what others can tell me or show me, rather on me seeking and learning from all that is around me. On the flip side....the habit that is hardest is the last one...PLAY! I can easily get caught up in my to do lists, my goals, and further aspirations and forget to take time for myself to enjoy what I have learned and just play!

Already I have enjoyed "playing" with setting up this blog though....so hopefully this experience itself will let me "play" with technology!!

In order to continue learning and hold myself accountable, I have attached the Learning Contract I created!

Signing off!
Ranelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment